You decided to graduate from The States and therefore you make arrangements and resolve your course of action. Your parents suddenly become students – learning Skype, Facebook, Whatsapp, Video Conferencing; they start wearing double watches. Local Indian news channels are shifted to international news channels, slightest change in weather reported and you get a call from home – ‘Sweetheart are you okay?’. Well the sweetheart is no longer the same sweetheart anymore. Any guesses what changed…. E V E R Y T H I N G
Here is a list of things that you thought wouldn’t turn around but it did eventually –
1. In America you talk like America, in India you still talk like America
BEFORE – You loathed people who would discourse in a fake American accent
AFTER – Now you can’t just stop flaunting it
2. From Animal Lover To Animal Eater
BEFORE – I sometimes eat chicken
AFTER – I sometimes eat Vegetarian
3. MERA BHARAT MAHAAN
BEFORE – Absconding from all pujas, snoozing tardily on republic day
AFTER – Inviting friends over for Diwali – using agarbattis and triggering the fire alarm
4. Proficiency in Multiplication Table of 60
Before – 100 rupees! That’s it.. I want it!
After – 11 dollars which means Rs 660, so should I buy it here or should I buy it in India?
5. Food IQ
Before – My mom is a terrific cook : she cooks amazing pastas
After – Mom, can you teach me how to cook those amazing pastas, preferably online?
6. From party weekends to laundry weekends
Before – Mom its Saturday, I will be late
After – Can you hurry? It’s Saturday and I need to finish my laundry
WHAT YOUR PARENTS THINK YOU ARE DOING ABROAD
Here is a list of things that your parents think you are doing but you aren’t –
7) What Parents Think: My poor little son is all alone in a whole new country.
REALITY: Breaking news! ‘he is not’ he has friends and that too loads of them, girlfriends (one or two maybe), neighbours and he absolutely hates coming home for a month in December because face it – he has nothing much to do.
8) What Parents Think: My son will get married in India to a girl of our choice
REALITY: You already have a firang girlfriend !
9. What Parents Think: My son is working so hard that he has no time to talk
REALITY: Cut the crap – you aren’t so busy but you just don’t feel like getting into that 30min conversation about food and work.
10. What Parents Think: My son says once he graduates he will return back to India