The world’s 3rd largest religion closely following Christianity and Islam is Hinduism. Hinduism is the world’s oldest known religion, with it’s roots going back to 10,000 years and Hindu Literature dating back to 7000 BC. Here are few mind-boggling facts about Hinduism.
1. Atheism is a part of Hinduism.
Religions are classified according to their beliefs in God: Atheism – no God, Monotheism – One God, Polytheism – Many Gods. While most of the popular religions fall into one of the three categories mentioned above, Hinduism is the only religion which can be accurately, yet not fully described individually, by all these terms: Hinduism is Atheist at the same time as it is Polytheist at the same time as it is Monotheist, as well as henotheistic, i.e. belief in one major God with other subsidiary Gods “worshippable” too!
2. Hinduism is the only religion to advocate gender equality in gods.
Hinduism has perfectly complementary female counterparts to almost all of their male Gods (with the exception of “celibate” Gods -male and female).
3. Hinduism is the parent religion that led to the birth of Buddhism and Sikhism.
It is also closely associated with its sister religion – Jainism.
4. The holiest number for Hindus is 108.
This is the ratio of Sun’s distance (from earth)/Sun’s diameter or Moon’s distance (from earth)/Moon’s diameter. Thus, most of our prayer beads have 108 beads.
5. Hinduism believes in circular timing!
i.e. each of our time cycles has 4 main periods – the Satya yuga (golden age of innocence), Tretha Yuga, Dwapara yuga and Kali Yuga. In the last stage, people get so filthy that whole thing is cleaned up and the cycle starts all over again.
6. Hinduism has no formal Institution
No Pope, no Bible and no central body.
7. Hinduism is said to be the most flexible religion.
Hinduism is an adaptive religion and is flexible to change with time. It is also proved that the teachings of Hinduism have held to be true over centuries even in the modern times.
8. Hinduism advocates happiness.
Hinduism is the only religion to advocate happiness and it’s all about being happy and celebrating life. It’s quite interesting to note that there are no mourning festivals in Hinduism.
9. It is buzzed to be the ‘oldest living religion’.
Hinduism is often called the ‘oldest living religion’ or the ‘oldest living major religion’ in the world.
10. Hinduism is the only religion to believe in Karma and re-birth.
Hinduism believes that your next birth will be determined by your actions in the present one.
11. Hinduism is the founder of the system of marriage.
Hinduism is the first religion to have founded and put forth the practice of the institution of marriage.
12. Vedas are the oldest literature known to mankind.
Vedas, the religious scripture of Hindus is the oldest literature known to the mankind and Hindus believe that the Vedas are written by gods.
13. Sanskrit is the oldest language known to mankind.
Sanskrit, the language of Hindus is the oldest language known to mankind.
14. The use of ‘0,’ decimal points, pi is said to be advocated by Hindus.
O, decimal points and pi is known to have blossomed in India in the early centuries by Hindus.
15. The largest religious structure in the world – Angkor Vat is a Hindu temple.
Angkor Vat in Cambodia was built by the Hindu kings of South East Asia.
16. Hinduism is proved to be a way of life.
Yoga, Ayurveda, Vedic math and hypnotism are not considered to be superstitions but accepted and proved to be a way of life with the advent of modern science.
In the End, this is what Hinduism teaches us
‘ लोका समस्ता सुखिनो भवन्तु !!! ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः !!! ‘
‘Loka Samastha Sukino Bhavantu. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti,
‘May all the beings in all the worlds be happy. Let there be Peace, Peace, and Peace everywhere.